Tuesday, October 20, 2009

American Bananas

The other night, my father-in-law--who is from Sicily--told a story of how bananas in Sicily were very expensive because it is a tropical fruit. Buying a banana was a treat, and one that was relished because it obviously wasn't an everyday consumable for anyone who wasn't wealthy. So my father-in-law saved money every week in order to purchase a savory banana, so that he may enjoy the fruits of his labor.

Years later, when he moved to America, bananas were being sold on virtually every street corner, and for a fraction of a fraction of the cost in Sicily. They were sitting in bunches on carts, ready to be bought and enjoyed; only, my father-in-law didn't desire them so much anymore. The flavor became typical and plain, somehow.

Is there a moral to this story? Probably. But I'm not worried about it. I'm just going to play on the computer a little longer, then go eat a huge breakfast that I'll cook for myself in my kitchen loaded with electric appliances, watch some television on my plasma screen, maybe play some PS3 after that, and then drive to school in my own car to get whatever education I was going there for (I forget).

No comments:

Post a Comment